Far away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, and easy to get to from just about anywhere, Ogunquit presents a perfect opportunity for that spur of the moment, last-minute vacation you’ve been promising yourself. If you’re planning a quick visit, you’ll need to pack the essentials and make a game plan. Use our Maine travel guide to ensure your last-minute Ogunquit getaway will be just what you need.
Check What’s Happening
Unless you’re literally going to Ogunquit tomorrow, you have a little bit of leeway to do a little planning for your Maine vacation. See what’s happening in Ogunquit and nearby coastal towns like Kennebunkport. There are always fun events up and down the coast at all times of year, so take them into consideration before you finalize plans for your Maine getaway.
Regardless of what’s going on around town, you can always find plenty to do with Ogunquit’s downtown sights and attractions. Consider taking a couple vacation days — a mid-week vacation in Ogunquit means shorter lines at popular restaurants like Barnacle Billy’s and minimal foot traffic on the Marginal Way.
Plan An Itinerary, But Leave Room For Spontaneity
After you’ve checked the upcoming events, start to write your personal Ogunquit must-see list. While Ogunquit Beach, the Playhouse, and Mount Agamenticus are some of the givens, you might also want to carve out some time to explore southern Maine. Fun activities include checking out the vibrant craft beer scene, shopping at some of the funkiest thrift shops around, or spending time at one of the great art galleries and museums.
In The Last-Minute Packing Frenzy, Be Sure to Bring:
– A decent camera to capture all of those Maine sights and attractions. Phones are acceptable. Keep the selfie sticks to a minimum.
– Swimwear to allow for full days of sun and surf on Ogunquit Beach, or even a dip or two in The Dunes’ very own swimming pool.
– Clothes (naturally) for wearing while you’re not swimming. Just a couple outfits will suffice — most of the time, you’ll be boasting that balmy beach life.
On the Other Hand, Don’t Worry About Packing These:
– Your rowboat. We’ve got those, so you can cross the Tidal River in style.
– A shuffleboard set. We have shuffleboard and many other lawn games at the ready for you to take a swing at.
– Boardgames. You’ll never be bored in our office, but you might have to endure an awkward ride home after an intense family game of Candy Land.
You may regret an impulse decision to buy a gold lobster claw cracker, but you really can’t go wrong with a last-minute getaway to Ogunquit (especially when you follow these expert tips). Browse our available cottages and guestrooms and pick the perfect spot to anchor your last-minute getaway on the coast of Maine.
Sign up for our email list and we’ll send you a bi-weekly digest of our last-minute openings of our cottages and guestrooms!