Welcome to The Dunes on the Waterfront!
When my grandparents moved to Ogunquit in 1935, they fell in love with the Maine coast and wanted to share its beauty with others. They built the first cottages at the Dunes in 1936, and our family has been welcoming guests from near and far ever since. Growing up here, I’ve gotten to know families who have returned to see the sunrise over the dunes for generations. My goal is to maintain the integrity of this place as a retreat from the commotion of daily life, where families, friends, couples, and anyone else can come to connect, refresh, and unwind by the sea for years to come. Whether you’ve been visiting your whole life or you’re thinking about your first trip to Ogunquit, I hope you’ll find something special at the Dunes to take with you.
Aaron Perkins, owner
For three generations, our family has worked to create and maintain the experience you’ll find at The Dunes on the Waterfront today. We continue to appreciate and nurture what we have inherited, adding modern comfort and convenience while preserving the original charm of the buildings.
- The Dunes on the Waterfront originated with 12 acres of riverfront pastureland purchased by Russell and Beatrice Weare Perkins in 1935.
- Four cottages were built initially, and the first guests were welcomed in the summer of 1936.
- Visitors would often arrive at the old Wells Railroad Station with their trunks and be shuttled by taxi to the Dunes, where the cottages were rented for the entire season.
- Additional cottages were added throughout the 1930’s and 40’s, and Russell and Beatrice joined their guests as in-season residents for many years, managing the property from an office in their summer cottage.
- Ongoing remodeling and reconfiguring led to the division and renumbering of many cottages, and two of the current buildings were actually moved to the property from alternate Ogunquit locations in the 1950’s.
- Richard, the son of Russell and Beatrice, built a house on the property in 1966 with his wife, Cynthia, and they managed the property together until his death in 1977, when she took over.
- After building a new laundry and maintenance building in 1993, Aaron Perkins built the current office on the site of the original storage barn. He and his wife Cindy still own the property today.
We’d like to give a warm thank-you to the organizations and lifestyle magazines who’ve recognized our commitment to providing the best hospitality possible in Ogunquit.
We’re located at 518 Maine St. on Ogunquit’s tidal river, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and an uncrowded middle section of Ogunquit Beach. Just .75 miles from downtown and Perkins Cove, we’re within easy walking distance of fine shops and restaurants frequented by locals and visitors alike. You’ll see our sign on Route 1 at the end of our driveway, which leads away from the bustle of the road onto 12 acres of seaside greenery. Map & Directions »